Hysterectomy Help

Wednesday, October 21, 2015




The "H" word!

Sparklers is all about encouragement and empowering you to LIVE your life!  And to me, that was getting a hysterectomy.

I have had "girly" problems for as long as I can remember.  Lots of pain!!!  Lots.  And not just once a month.  No No!  Then the pain started leading to other problems as well.

In April I was diagnosed with an ovarian tumor.  While I was in surgery to remove it and biopsy it (non-cancerous!  YAY!) my surgeon was able to un-attach some of my organs that were stuck together from endometriosis.  She strongly suggested a hysterectomy.  She is the third Dr. to STRONGLY suggest a hysterectomy.

She said it wouldn't solve ALL my problems, but she suspected Adenomyosis and the only cure for that is to remove the Uterus.

At this point I had had enough!  I agreed to the hysterectomy.

It's been five weeks today from a complete hysterectomy by LAVH.  (Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy.)  I was able to keep both ovaries.

Now I'm not going to talk too much about what to expect after surgery, because everyone's circumstance, surgery and recovery process is going to be completely different.  I read so many horror stories before my surgery that I actually postponed it once because I was so scared.

I will say for me, it's been hard.  The recovery process is slow.  I knew it would take awhile to be 100%, but I didn't realize all that was involved.  I'm tired.  Take that back, I AM exhausted.  The pain was completely tolerable, which I'm glad because my pain meds made me sick, so I stopped taking them.  I can't get comfortable long enough to get a goods night sleep, but I take lots of naps.  I didn't feel like leaving my house for almost 3 weeks.  And when I did, I felt it the next day.  My core is sore, and my back is too.  Digestion has been an issue, and even though I was able to keep my ovaries, I have been on an emotional roller coaster.

With all that said, it's been doable, just long and hard.  I am a control freak, so not being able to do things for myself is driving me crazy.  I can't vacuum, sweep, load or unload a dishwasher, push a grocery cart, or carry loads of laundry.  I have another week before I am cleared to do any of that.
But I am starting to feel like my old self again.  I am slowly able to get back to doing what I love.  I have more energy.  I haven't had pain at all in 3 weeks.  That's a new record for me!  AND before surgery I looked 5 months pregnant all the time, and now, that's gone!!

So for me, a hysterectomy was the right choice, (even though those first two weeks after I was doubting it!)  I did end up having Adenomyosis, so having my uterus gone will help with A LOT of my issues.

Here are my 10 things you need to be prepared for to help you get through your Hysterectomy!

1.  Expect it to be a slow recovery.  I think that is why it was so hard for me.  I honestly thought that I would be back to normal much sooner.  It depressed me that by week 4 I still needed a nap if I left my house for longer than 2 hours.  If I was more mentally prepared I think I wouldn't have had such a hard time with it.

2. Hospital stay.  I was there for two days.  I read all the things to bring, and honestly all I needed was my chapstick, my robe, my lotion and my phone.  I slept through everything else.

3.  Stock up on lounging/pajama pants.  I lived in them for the first two weeks.  My hubby was super cute and went out and bought me more, and less PJ looking, to get me through the first bit.

4.  Buy a nice comfortable bra.  I went and bought a bra with no under wire and it was the best thing I did.  I could nap in it, see visitors in it, and it was super comfortable.

5.  Netflix will be your best friend.  I watched an insane amount of TV the first week post op.  My brain was too foggy to read, and it hurt to sit to play on the laptop or do a craft or anything, so I watched TV.  Just beware, after awhile Netflix makes you feel like a loser and asks you if you are STILL watching.  Yes, I was!

6.  Prepare food.  Stock up on some food for you and your family.  I didn't have much of an appetite the first week.  But I obviously needed to eat.  The first week I lived off of Otter Pops, Cup of Noodle Soup and toast.  Yum!   Luckily my Hubby was able to be home with me that first week, (and if he wasn't he got me a babysitter) to prepare food for the family.   Some awesome friends brought us dinner 3 nights and we had a few frozen dinners prepared too.  I wish now, I had more frozen dinners prepared.  My hubby took great care the first week, but then the second week, he had to get back to work.  So by the time he got home and dinner made, it was kind of later than I would have liked for the kids.  If I had more frozen dinners prepared, I could have helped the kids put one in the oven to start cooking, so by the time he got home, it was ready to serve.

7.  WALK!  This is a biggie.  Walk as often as you can.  Even if it's just around your house.  It helps with the recovery process greatly.

8.  Get help.  I wasn't allowed to drive for two weeks, so we needed help getting the kids everywhere they needed to be.  I hate asking for help, but it's so nice to have it when you need it.  I scheduled as much as I could BEFORE my surgery so that I knew I wouldn't have to worry about finding rides after.  I was able to rest and recover properly because I knew I had the kids handled.  Then towards the end of your recovery you will still need help grocery shopping (You are not allowed to push a cart.)  So call up a friend, take her out to lunch and then hit the store together!

P.S.  Take a friend vs. your kids.  When they "helped" me we ended up with a lot of items like this in the cart, Pumpkin Marshmallows.  Tis the season!



9.  Get out of the house as soon as you are able.  Even if it's just a drive to get ice cream.  Getting out and getting some fresh air does the body and soul good.

10.  Listen to your body.  Do not push the recovery process, it will set you back more.  If you need a nap, take one.  If you need help, ASK!  Listen to your doctor and be patient.  It will be worth it in the long run.  It's hard enough for me to have to take these 6 weeks to recover, I DO NOT want to add more time to that!


So, what did you find helpful in your recovery process?

You Might Also Like

0 comments