recipes

The Perfect Egg

Wednesday, March 16, 2016



I was on a quest to search for the best way to hard boil an egg. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve always had issues cooking eggs. They never turn out quite right. They’re either rubbery or have a grayish yolk. Did you know that the gray is actually a chemical reaction from over cooking the egg? I also have problems with the peeling process. I usually end up losing half the egg with the shell.


I tried 3 different methods and I ended up with the perfect hardboiled egg. I suppose I should say hard cooked because they weren’t all boiled. Here’s a breakdown of each:

Stove top method- Place eggs in a single layer in pot, cover with cold water then bring to a boil on medium heat. You have to pay attention here, because as soon as the water comes to a rapid boil, you’ll want to put a lid on and turn off the heat. Let sit for about 10 minutes then place in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.


Oven cooking- Put eggs in a muffin tin to keep them from rolling around. Cook at 325 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. Take out and place in ice water bath.


Crockpot cooking- Place eggs in a single layer in crockpot, cover with water and cook for about 2 hours on high. Time may vary depending on your slow cooker. Remove and place in ice water bath.

 And the winner is…(drumroll please)…OVEN COOKING!  Seriously, the perfect egg. The yolk was yellow and creamy and it was so easy to peel. Not to mention, this was the simplest way to cook eggs. The only negative (if I’m being nitpicky) is that a couple of the eggs ended up with a little brown spot from where they were resting against the pan. The stove top eggs ended up pretty good as well, but they were harder to peel and you really do have to make sure you’re watching those eggs so they don’t overcook. I was least impressed with the crockpot method. It takes the longest, the egg yolks turned slightly gray around the outside and they were so difficult to peel. I lost a lot of egg white along with the shell.

So there you have it. When getting ready for those egg hunts this Easter, heat up that oven and let it do all the work.  Then sit back and enjoy the perfect egg.

You Might Also Like

0 comments